First family of Gustavus, Alaska's "White House". In 1925 May and Bill White filed on a homestead when they took over living in "Swanson's Place" on the east side of Salmon River (Ernie Swanson's original home built by himself & friend "Buck" Leary as a place to stay during his time in Strawberry Point).
Later the Whites renamed "Swanson's Place" the "Bear's Nest". As there were too many little "bears" being born into the family with no room to spare (actually it was named after a real bear incident), work began on building a larger home on the main road with a wonderful view of Icy Passages, Pleasant Island, and the water and mountains beyond. Their homestead was aptly called the "Sunny Lee Farm" and in 1928 they moved into their new home.
This "White House" would eventually become the first overnight facility for guests in Gustavus, Alaska called the "Riverside Lodge", then the "Chase Riverside Lodge", followed by the "Salmon River Lodge" and finally (and currently today 2007) the renowned "Gustavus Inn".
May White on left holding little William Leslie "Bill" White infant, and father William Charles "Bill" White, Sr. on far right.
Front row Lt. to Rt. Anne, Alice Grace, and Glen Edward "Ed" White.
Middle row Lt. to Rt. Genevieve & Dorothy White.
Back row Lt. to Rt. Gloria, Charles, & Henrietta White.