This foot bridge was located almost directly across from the Abraham Lincoln Parker homestead. Used by the Parker family and neighbors alike, it provided quick, easy, and safe access for the 4 Good children (boys), and the Parker boys to run back and forth. It was also appreciated by the neighbor ladies---Edith A. Parker and Ursula B. Good who now could visit without scrambling up and down river banks and climbing into skiffs.
In 1919, Abraham Parker got the contract to build a "real" bridge just to the north of the their home that would later accomodate tractors, farm equipment and cars. In this photo, taken approximately 1 year after the Parker family's Strawberry Point, Alaska arrival, Bert Parker (age 16 and 2nd oldest son of Abraham & Edith Parker) is shown standing on the west side of the bridge.
GHAA Note: In 1918 the Strawberry Point, Alaska "neighbors" consisted of the Good and Parker families on either side of Good River, Lester Rink (across the eastern flats up against the far mountains), the Verne Henrys' (on the east side of Salmon River), and occasionally Ernie Swanson (and 1 or 2 of his friends). The Taggerts and Davis families who arrived in 1914 with the Henrys were already gone, although the Davis's did return for short visits from Juneau where they had relocated to. By the end of 1918, Verne and Janie Henry would take a trip south, receive discouraging news regarding the rejection of their homestead application and lost crops, and never return to live at the Point again. It is unclear to GHAA whether Joe Simpson (who lived upriver from the A. L. Parkers in 1917) was still at Strawberry Point in 1918. We can find no further reference to Mr. Simpson. In 1919 the Good family also left the Point (and dwindling number of settlers) and did not return.